Dr S. Chidambaranathan B.H.M.S, M.D Homeopathy Doctor Madurai (Treatment avail for all people around the world)
- Youth – mainly teenage and 20 to 30 age group
- Males have more incidences than females
- People who suffer from constipation and who are deprived of fibre diet have more chances of getting appendicitis
- Sometimes familial disposition is noted
- Infection – from bacterias or trophozoites. (E.coli, streptococcus, staphylococcus, amoebiasis, etc).
- Obstruction – usually infection precedes the obstructive process since infection causes swelling of lymphoid follicles in the appendix. This swelling causes narrowing of lumen (tube) of appendix. The obstruction can also cause blockage of blood flow, gangrene and pus collection. The other cause for obstruction is usually due to hardened faecal mass i.e. faecolith. Worms are rare in causing obstructive appendicitis. The obstruction causes pain due to distension of appendix with increase of intra luminal fluid due to blockage of drain.
- In some incidences, trauma or injury can also be found to be a causative factor.
- Initially there will be a generalised pain in the abdomen, especially around umbilicus, which gradually gets localized to the right lower abdomen (characteristic feature of appendicitis)
- Slow onset of pain usually shoots up to a severe sharp pain within 12 hours
- Usually, low-grade fever accompanies with rigor, nausea and vomiting
- Tenderness and firm swelling can be felt on palpation over right lower abdomen
- Abdomen wall or muscles become rigid to prevent pain on moving, i.e. muscle guard
- Pain is mostly aggravated with touch, pressure, moving, cough, sneeze, deep breath, straining for stool, etc.
- Loss of appetite with diarrhoea or constipation. Also fear of food will be there due to pain, vomiting and diarrhoea.
- Pain in Mcburney’s point i.e. junction of lateral and middle thirds of the line joining the right anterior superior iliac spine (hip prominence) to umbilicus
- Rebound tenderness – Pain shoots up when doctor takes up his palpating hand from right lower abdomen – releasing pain.
- Pressure in left lower abdomen can cause pain in right lower abdomen
Usually a course of antibiotics will keep away all the symptoms of the appendicitis. If left untreated or gets maltreated, there is a chance of the bursting of the appendix mass to infect the whole abdomen. Initially, most doctors treat the condition with antibiotics and resort to elective surgical removal within a month. In allopathy, doctors usually advice removal of the appendix to get rid of the problem since it may act as an infective focus and cause complaints. So they usually resort for surgery even after the person feels better after the antibiotic course.
- Bed rest
- Avoid oral foods and go for intravenous (IV) drips
- Once you get better, liquid diet can be taken, if tolerated
- Take fibre-rich diet like vegetables, fruits, etc.
- Take meals at regular intervals
- Drink plenty of water to move the digested particles easily
- Don’t do any exercises for abdomen muscles, also don’t lift any weight for 3 months
- Avoid alcohol, beer, tobacco, smoking, coffee, tea, etc., since these things can precipitate the pain
- Avoid antacids, pain killers and laxative drugs, since they can mask the symptoms of the disease and also sometimes these drugs can precipitate the attack
- Avoid psychological tension or anxiety
Homeopathy can help in treating the chronic condition of appendicitis, but in case of acute emergency, if time doesn’t permit taking Homeopathic medicines, then, there is no other go except the way of surgical removal. Everyone would know that life is more important than the system or the doctor. Each and every system has its own limitations and advantages. When the condition is very acute and requires emergency surgical intervention, then don’t wait and waste time any more without getting the appendix operated upon. Acute appendicitis is really a difficult condition to treat, since it involves danger to life. Due to that fear, many doctors and patients accept surgical procedures in doubtful conditions also. Everyone should be very careful in treating appendicitis, since it can recur acutely at anytime.