No one knows the pain unless until he gets it, i.e. pain & its intensity can be recognized only by the sufferer. This is true in cases of ‘Headache’ too.
Now-a-days, people are always in a hurry and expect immediate relief, so they often go for painkillers just like that with a view to continue their work. They never even go into the factors for the disease to know about the cause and its rectification. They forget about the causes till the headache comes again and reminds them with intensified suffering. This type of attitude always brings complications due to delay in treatment or progression of disease.
It is a more general term which means pain in the head. It may be due to brain disorders (disease / tumors) or moods or referred pain from diseases of eye, ear, tooth, nose, face and sinuses. Headache may also indicate an internal serious illness (like meningitis or brain tumors or fits.) So, it is better to get examined and analysed by an expert in all the cases of headache, irrespective of acute or chronic nature. Causative factor can be identified if case is dealt in a detailed manner, so that preventive measures can also be taken to avoid recurrences. Every one should be aware that safe procedure in expert hands is always praiseworthy.
- Familial – family trait had been identified in many cases thus confirms its genetic criteria
- Emotional – fear, mental stress and strain, worry & sadness, anxiety, tension, contradiction, anger, loathing of life, fear of failure, over excitement, sleeplessness, waking suddenly from sleep and fearful dreams.
- Physical – Starvation / increased appetite, indigestion, vomiting, overwork, fatigue, loss of sleep, lying posture, travel, heading while playing foot ball, injury to head, playing vigorously, sexual excesses, head bath, oil bath, massage, sun bath.
- Eye – visual disturbances, refractive errors, bright light, glaring flash lights, eye strain with lot of reading or watching movies, watering of eyes, glaucoma (eye pressure).
- Ear – middle & inner ear infection, sensitive to high frequency noise, water entering the ear, cold wind blowing into the ear.
- Nose – common cold, stuffy nose, allergic rhinitis, sneezing, smelling irritant / allergic perfume, agarbathies, hooding flowers, sinusitis (infection of para nasal sinuses), nasal polyp.
- Dental pain can also referred as headache sometimes.
- Neck – cervical spondylitis, obstruction or plaque in carotid artery / vertebral artery.
- Nerves and neurons of brain – loss of sleep, overwork, irritability, anxiety, depression, mood swing, brain tumours.
- Vascular – Obstruction / stenosis / resistance developed in the arteries and veins which supplies the brain can cause headache due to ischaemia (reduced blood flow) or cramp, likewise dilatation and fullness of the arteries / vein can also bring headache due to fullness or pressure (increased blood flow).
- Meninges irritation – as in meningitis.
- Ventricular pressure – Hydrocephalus – increased pressure in the brain.
- Abdomen / stomach – constipation, starvation, vomiting, food allergy, indigestion overeating, gas trouble.
- Metabolism – allergic disorders, increased histamine secretion.
- Drugs – allergic drugs, nitrate drugs, hormonal drugs (contraceptive pills).
- Primary – cause from brain itself as a functional disorder
- Secondary – due to referral from a disease / dysfunction of any part of the body
- Physiological – headache caused due to stress & strain, menstrual changes, hormonal changes, starvation / increased appetite, loss of sleep, sexual excesses.
- Pathological – headache due to brain tumors or diseases
Also, commonly headache is classified as
- Nervous headache- which originated from nerves
- Vascular headache- which originated from blood vessels
- Mixed type of headache – whose origin involves nerves, blood vessels and muscles.
- Headache in the front part is called Frontal Headache
- Headache in temples / sides are called Temporal Headache / Parietal Headache.
- Headache in back part is called Occipital Headache
- Headache in upper & centre is called Vertex Headache
- Headache in face is called Facial headache (often this will be neurological).
Each and every type of headache differs in presentation with place, nature of pain and its intensity.
- The advanced medical world cannot even replace a single neuron of brain, compared to the heart where medical advances by-pass the heart with instruments, replaces its valves and controls it with pacemaker.
- The brain can control the heart.
- Brain can also prove its worthiness naturally with its presence in a safe skull vault, compared to the heart in a rib cage
Incidences – Migraine can attack any person of any age, irrespective of sex. Migraine headaches are also common in school-going children. Most commonly, adolescent females are the victims.
Reason for pain – Headache can be caused by contracted or relaxed blood vessels, i.e., reduced blood flow which cause cramps in brain or increased blood flow which causes tension/ pressure. In case of migraine, both the phases can be noted one after another, i.e., initially, headache develops as a cramp of the brain due to reduced blood flow or narrowing/contraction of the blood vessels which is then followed by compensatory dilatation of blood vessels or increased blood flow. It is in this increased blood flow period that the migraine pain will be at its peak. The previous reduced blood flow period is called aura. Likewise, headache can also be caused by increased pressure in ventricles (heart of brain) – for ex- hydrocephalus.
Causes of migraine – Causes in case of migraine are often supposed and not definite. It varies from person to person. Anyway, the most common triggers are emotional changes, hearing strange sound/noise, eye strain, waking up suddenly from sleep, hormonal changes/fluctuations in the menstrual cycle, menopause, thyroid problems, taking birth control pills, change in weather, altitude, injury to head or face, untreated or maltreated diseases.
Migraine with aura – is the classic type of migraine where symptoms are often preceded by subconscious symptoms or alert symptoms like momentary loss of consciousness, momentary blindness, blurred vision, unusual tinnitus, unusual abdominal cramps or rumbling, etc. These symptoms can last from minutes to hours.
Migraine without aura – In this type of migraine, patients suffer without any alert or aural symptoms.
Characteristic nature of migraine
- Episodic nature i.e. it comes repeatedly over time but is not persistent.
- Symptoms often preceded by aura, i.e. like visual disturbances, hearing disturbances, unusual happenings, etc.
- One sided headache with nausea and vomiting
- Sensitive to light and noises
- Flickering, temporary blindness or as if small flies are flying in the vision area
- Mood swing from sad/depression to anger
- Loss of appetite
- Giddiness and tinnitus, dullness, sleepiness, etc.
- Severe hammering / screwing / pricking / beating / bursting / throbbing / pulsatile / heaping / tight / heavy / pressure headache occurs, where sufferer will often bury the head into a pillow
- Feeling of restlessness and changing positions often
- Aversion to food and nausea
- Vomiting – usually gives some betterment with a free abdomen
- Weakness / numbness / tremors on one side of the body
- Weakness and difficulty in walking or working
- Exhausted as if suffered with fits
- Dullness and sleepiness with lack of concentration.
Diagnosis – Migraines can be diagnosed and differentiated easily from other forms of headaches with its spot pain, aura symptoms, episodic nature and other classical presentation of symptoms. Tension headache, which mimics these symptoms, will be a generalized one, i.e., all over the head, constant or persistent and more emotional in origin.
- Be relaxed and avoid unnecessary tension or thoughts
- Brisk walking daily at least for 30 minutes
- Drink plenty of water and juices
- Sleep at a regular time – for at least 7 hours
- Coffee, alcohol, smoking and chewing tobacco
- Preservative-added, tin-packed foods/drinks
- Stress and strain
- Unnecessary medications
- Triggers or any aggravating factors like bright flash lights, loud noise, allergic foods, emotional roller-coasters, etc
The goal of treatment should not only be relief, but also to prevent recurrences. Recurring headaches can be given knockouts when the reviver provides the sufferer counselling to relieve tension and depression, in addition to drugs. One of the most common reasons why people seek Homeopathy treatment is that it cares more for the patient than the disease, i.e. Homeopathy treats patients rather than the disease. Also, it is very much refined, safe and effective and is an easy way to attain permanent cure without any side-effects. Homeopathy medicines not only relieve the pain but also treat the condition permanently.