Vocal Nodules | Singer's Nodes by Dr S. Chidambaranathan B.H.M.S, M.D Homeopathy Doctor Madurai (Treatment avail for all people around the world)
Vocal cord plays the voice / sound. Vibration of vocal cords usually allows air from lungs then and there, according to need of expected sound that has to be produced. While any one attempt to strain with speaking or singing, when there is infection or odema, vocal cords may get rubbed hard against each other to get pressure abrasions or injury . This friction occurred with vibration of vocal cord usually causes scratchy, hoarse voice and pain .
CAUSES – Vocal nodule commonly occurs after repeated voice strain (speaking / singing loudly, shouting, screaming, laughing, crying, etc) which use to injure vocal cord repeatedly. The other triggers which cause vocal nodules to get injured commonly are recurrent laryngitis (sore throat), tonsillitis, adenoids, sinusitis, post nasal drip, violent cough / sneeze, oesophageal gastric reflux (acidity), etc. It may also be from chewing peppermint continuously, inhaling mosquito repellents and nasal decongestants too.
SYMPTOMS – In case of vocal nodules, voices may be low pitched, creaky, scratchy, hoarse & husky. Further, there may be
Sensation of foreign material in the throat
Voice struck in the throat / inability to produce expected clear sounds
Fleeting sound while straining to make high pitched sound
Induction of cough with difficulty in breathing (occasionally)
Unless otherwise vocal nodules are properly cared, it will sustain or increase the intensity of the hoarseness in course of time to mute the voice totally.
PREVENTION & MANAGEMENT – In case of having vocal nodule, following care and management will be very helpful to provide comfort to the throat.
- Use voice slowly and properly
- Give voice rest as much as possible till hoarseness get resolved
- Take lukewarm water often to maintain moisture of throat. Further warm
- Take care for room humidity
- Shouting / crying / speaking loudly and continuously (overusing voice)
- Doing mimicry or whispering (misusing voice)
- Clearing throat & spitting often
- Mouth breathing
- Nasal decongestants and unnecessary drugs (since even pain killers, diuretics, anti depressants, anti histamines, birth control pills, sedative drugs, etc can cause dryness which may lead to more abrasions in vocal nodules while speaking)
- Preservative added foods / drinks / fast foods / allergic substances and other known hoarseness triggers like ice creams, cool drinks, chocolates, fruits, etc.
- Inhaling chemical fumes / smoke / pollutants
- Tobacco chewing / smoking / alcohol / drugs
- Spicy, hot and acid foods
Allopathy treats vocal nodule as a surgical complaint and usually recommend surgical option to get rid off it. Any how, if it is small, patients will be put on a course of antibiotics and painkillers with the advice of voice rest and speech therapy for a course of time to check whether vocal nodule is coming down automatically or not. If it is not coming down, surgery will be advised as a last resort to clip off the nodule. If vocal nodule is big, then excision will be advised straight away.
Homeopathy is more effective than any other system of medicines in clearing vocal nodules or polyps. Homeopathic treatment can do wonders by removing disease completely (if treatment is started at the earliest and vocal nodule is not so big) or can provide dramatic relief by shrinking nodules (if it is big).
for new hope