Dr S. Chidambaranathan B.H.M.S, M.D Homeopathy Doctor Madurai (Treatment avail for all people around the world)
- Injury – from trauma, in-growing nails, hanging nail, nail biting, thumb sucking, exposure to chemicals or extreme cold temperatures, recurrent use of nail polish remover, etc.
- Working constantly with water
- Infection – bacteria (staphylococcus aureus or streptococcus), fungus, viral, etc.
- Skin diseases – psoriasis, eczema, herpes
- Diseases – diabetes, psoriasis, malignancy
- Drugs and therapy – steroidal and chemotherapy
SYMPTOMS – Inflammation & pain usually starts from the sides of the nail in case of in-growing nails, whereas in the case of infection, it arises from the base of the nail. Normally, it will subside within 5-7 days, but can persist for weeks or months. Also sometimes, it may annoy the sufferer with its recurring tendency. The common symptoms are
- Pain and being sensitive to touch
- Redness and swelling in nail bed
- Discharge of pus when it opens
- Fever may accompany in case of development of complications/inner spreading abscess
Complications – Any nail complaints should be treated in the initial period itself or otherwise complications often follow. In case of neglected paronychial infections, common complications are:
- Spread of infection into deep spaces of hand causing violent pain all over the hand
- Nail loss
- Deformity of finger
- Keep fingers/toes dry and clean
- Elevate the infected nail/finger to make good venous return/drain and reduce pain
- Hot water fomentation usually comforts by enhancing the blood circulation and diluting infection and by quickening the healing process.
- Trim in-grown nail from edge-to-edge in semi-lunar manner to avoid getting wound and infection
- Remove hanging nails, if any
- Wear gloves while there is risk of injury or chemical contact
- Control sugar levels in case of diabetes
Complications in most of the cases are only due to negligence. But even with good care some patients may develop recurrences. Recurrence of paronychia cannot be