- Sudden rise in temperature above 101°F
- Continuous fever with restlessness
- Nausea and vomiting
- Headache and severe body pain
- Painful joints, especially knee and ankle
- Swelling in the joints (occasional)
- Redness and soreness of eyes
- Glare of vision / sensitivity of eyes on seeing bright objects (occasional)
- Itching, blotches and burning skin rashes (occasional)
- Coated tongue with loss of taste
- Ulcers or blisters in mouth
- Diarrhoea (occasional)
- Bleeding internal or external (in skin, brain and kidney) (occasional)
- Neurological complications due to bleeding in brain (occasional)
In India, no lab other than the National Institute of Virology, Pune, is equipped to detect the presence of causative virus or its viral load. Anyway, during suffering, it is better to rule out other illness by visiting the local physician for examination of pulse, blood pressure, temperature, respiratory rate, joints, skin and eye. Also it is better to get investigated at the laboratory for routine blood tests and urine tests.
Normally, there won’t be any complication at all other than prolonged joint pains. In rare cases, death occurs. If complaints/symptoms are cared for well and treated well, one can rule out complications. But sometimes, in elderly persons, complication may arise in the brain (to cause dementia, paralysis, tremors, etc.) and kidney. Children should be cared for well since they cannot point out the symptoms in the early stages to avoid complications.
- Controlling the breeding sites by avoiding water stagnation in and around houses
- Keep covered water stored in buckets and tanks
- Mosquitoes can be controlled by using net, mesh, coils, liquids, sprays, creams, etc.
- Fogging and killing them (for adult mosquito) especially in daytime since they are active during daytime.
- Using bleaching powder and other pesticides / chemicals in stored water (to clear larva and pupa). Care should be taken that this water is not used for drinking.
- As Aedes aegypti mosquitoes are very weak fliers and never cross a quarter of a kilometre, the real culprits who spread the disease worldwide are travellers. So it is better to control travellers also when they suffer from chikungunya.
- Bed rest in a well-ventilated, cool room until the fever subsides
- Sponge bath with lukewarm water
- Extra fluids to compensate dehydration (water, juices, vegetable soups, etc.)
- A light diet without oil
- Extra cover with warm blankets when there is shivering
- Care for bleeding tendencies
- Mosquito net, mesh, coils, liquids, sprays, creams, etc., to keep away mosquitoes
- Full sleeves to avoid mosquito bites and spreading the disease to others
- Coffee, soft drinks and tea
- Watching TV since it may aggravate soreness of eye
In Homeopathy, we treat the patients (symptoms of the patients) and not the disease. In Homeopathy, medicines are usually selected with the mode of onset of complaints, characteristic symptoms of the patient with respect to appetite, thirst, sweat, shivering, mental restlessness, sleep, urine, stool habits, and the character of the disease and its exciting cause, etc. A well-selected remedy quickly supports the body mechanism and clears the complaints at the earliest.
For prevention – One can buy the following medicines from Homeopathic pharmacy and take as per instructions for a week:
Rhus tox 1M / 5ml pills of 30 size globules / 4 pills / daily morning and evening &
Eupatorium perf 1M / 5ml pills of 30 size globules / 4 pills / daily afternoon and night
- For joint pains and tiredness -
Arnica 1M/ only one dose / 4 pills of 30 size globules – at bed time, followed with Rhus tox 1M / 5ml pills of 30 size globules / 4 pills / daily morning, afternoon, evening & night for a week
- For joints swelling and pain-
Bryonia 1M / 5ml pills of 30 size globules / 4 pills / daily morning and evening & Apis 200 / 5ml pills of 30 size globules / 4 pills / daily afternoon and night for a week
- For headache -
Gelsemium 200 / 5ml pills of 30 size globules / 4 pills / daily morning, afternoon, evening and night for a week