Sneezing by Dr S. Chidambaranathan B.H.M.S, M.D Homeopathy Doctor Madurai (Treatment avail for all people around the world)
-This type of sneezing is mostly acute in nature and often caused by bacterial or viral or fungal infection. This occurs during the start of the disease.
Continuous or allergic sneezing – Mostly these types are chronic in nature and caused by allergic tendencies of the body. It occurs due to constant exposure to dust, pets, etc.
Seasonal sneezing – Mostly in seasons, when pollens are more in wind. Seasonal allergic rhinitis usually results due to pollens of tree, grass or weed.
- Mechanically plucking hair in the nose will cause sneezing
- Irritants – smoke, strong smells, pollution, pollens, pesticides, insecticides, wood dust, cotton dust, and other dusts, etc.
- Environment – Cold weather, rain water, smell of sand, especially during rain, dampness & temperature variations
- Contact with animals products – dander and mites of cats, dogs, furry animals and birds
- Household items – carpets, pillows, mattresses, furred and stuffed toys
- Foods can also cause sneezing immediately due to preservatives and food colours. Chillies, cucumber, watermelon and non-vegetarian foods such as fish, meat, and egg can also induce sneezing. This is often noticed in children.
- Herbs – plants, grass, trees, pollens. Pollen-allergic sneeze usually occur in spring and at the end of summer. Here weather plays the major role.
- Drugs can also cause allergic sneezing when the patients are hypersensitive
- Nasal – deviated nasal septum, nasal polyp and sinusitis
- Ear- Otitis media, CSOM, impacted cerumen
Even though these are all the triggers of sneezing and allergy, the ultimate reason or exact cause is obscure, since bacteria or dust are normally well tolerated.
- X-rays – Para nasal sinuses – to rule out sinusitis
- Microscopic examination of nasal discharge – can reveal bacteria and eosinophils
- CT or MRI examination and rhinoscopy for diagnosing and evaluating of the sinuses, adenoids and also structural abnormalities
- Nasal smear – for the presence of eosinophils
- Blood tests- for total serum IgE & eosinophils count
- Allergy skin testing
- Dust or wear mask for protection
- Working in areas of noxious fumes or polluted air
- Cold things and cold winds
- Avoid pets and pollens
- Exercising or working in pollens-rich places and timings (in early morning)
- Contact with infected persons
- Drugs which cause allergy
- Smoking and smokes
- Rest in closed and warm room
- Nutritious diet for healthy life
- Plenty of fluids – water, juices to disperse mucous as less viscous for expulsion
- Air filters often
- Damp places to reduce molds and dust mites
- Bedspreads, pillows, blankets, mattress, rugs, every week
- Carpets frequently with vacuum cleaner
- Houses with vacuum cleaner rather than sweeping or dusting
Anti-histamine drugs are commonly used in Allopathy. It arrests the release of histamine secretion for providing relief like Cetrizine, Avil, etc. As adverse reaction, these drugs can cause drowsiness, dizziness, sleeplessness and tremors
Nasal decongestants can give very temporary relief from nasal congestion. These decongestants should not be used continuously since rebound of complaints will occur with much intensity in due course
Steroids therapy – Steroidal injections and nasal spray will help much in reducing inflammation and watery nose and sneezing, by suppressing our reaction force to bacteria or disease force. But in due course, blood pressure, diabetes and renal damage may result as complications
Desensitisation or immune therapy – This will take months together and regular follow-up with physician should be there. Here, allergic substances are injected in increasing doses to de-sensitise the allergic reaction of the body. Sometimes it may cause severe allergic responses
In Homeopathy, we treat patients (symptoms of the patients) and not the disease. Sneeze is a symptom. It comes to expel the irritant substance from the nose. If you are switching it off with heavy doses of anti-histamines or steroids, then you are violating natural protection and elimination. Hence, there will be chances of constant infection which resemble continuous or repeated attack of the cold and sneezing. These patients can be cured permanently with Homeopathy. Patients and doctors need patience in treating sneeze.