Nose – the prominent attraction of the face – works as a passage, a filter and a humidifier of the air entering into it. It is a very sensitive part with rich source of blood supply, sensitive nerve endings, sinuses and glands. It further aids in phonation and smelling the odour which enhances taste. The action of the nose usually gets altered with environmental factors (i.e. temperature, high altitudes, humidity, etc.) and infection. Enlarged adenoids – one among the common nose complaints – often distract nose functions and can distort nose shape too in due course.
- It monitors the quality of the air which enters our body
- It plays a major role in body immune mechanism, but most probably in childhood
- It traps the germs that enters into the body by its antibodies and drains it into the lymph vessels for drain or elimination
- By becoming a swollen inflamed mass, it alerts our body when any infection enters our body
- It is helpful in forming lymphocytes (white blood cells) which protect our body as defense mechanism.
- Difficulty in breathing – due to the blockage of airway by enlarged adenoid. This may lead to snoring. Whistling snore can be heard loudly at night due to more relaxed adenoid during sleep.
- Nasal discharges and nasal phonation
- Mouth breathing mostly at night, but in advanced cases, in daytime also
- Restlessness at night due to sleep apnoea (large pause between two breaths)
- Attention deficit and tiredness – due to restless sleep at night, there will be more tiredness during day time.
- Poor growth and development with air hunger and lack of appetite or aversion.
- Excess salivation and dribbling of saliva when mouth breath predominates to avoid dry mouth.
- CT scan or MRI scans
- Blood analysis – Tc, Dc, Esr, Hb% to evaluate infection and its intensity
- Blowing nose vigorously
- Acidic drinks like cold beverages
- Tin-packed foods with preservatives
- Direct blow of air from fan or air-conditioner
- Room Humidifier when room heater is often used.
- Nasal spray to moisten the nose when it seems to be dry and irritated
Nature and intensity of the adenoid complaints will usually vary from child to child. Generally, each and every child requires treatment according to the presentation of the complaints. Allopathy works mostly towards
2. Relief of pain or symptoms
b. For allergic conditions- Anti-histamine drugs
Enlarged adenoids are not a pure surgical complaint. They can be cured in 70 – 80 per cent of cases. In Allopathy itself, there is a lot of controversy in removing adenoids and tonsils. They also switch over to surgical option only when complaints recur in uncontrollable intensity with resistance to antibiotic and other drugs.