It is a painful nerve disorder where pain radiates to the arm in the particular pathway of the affected nerve(s). It comes after the inflammation / irritation / compression of the particular nerve(s) (i.e., neuritis). Its intolerable intensity, persisting character or recurrent attacks make every sufferer worried. The pain of brachial neuralgia may be constant, sharp, stabbing, burning, shooting, radiating, annoying, debilitating and sometimes it comes and goes just like flashes one afraid of it.
usually vary from person to person in type, intensity and suffering period depending
- Tightness & stiffness of shoulder, arm, forearm, etc.
- Difficulty in lifting / stretching / extending the arm
- Violent sharp lightning / shooting down / electric flickering- type pain
- Pain usually travels / radiates down to the hand
- Altered sensation or numbness or tingling sensation (feeling of pricking pins) with weakness in the parts involved
- Restlessness and fear due to pain
- Sleep in a straight position, spreading arms sideward
- Have a small pillow i.e. not more than 3-4 inches thickness
- Sit erect and use neck in erect posture while doing any job
- Maintain good posture while reading or working with computers
- Check for bike shock absorbers often and use smooth roads
- Lifting heavy objects / strenuous exercises
- Putting hands under the head while sleeping
- Sitting and keeping neck in one position continuously for prolonged period
- Massaging violently with analgesics, since it can aggravate the complaint
- Avoid exposure to cold weather and cold bath
- Pain in thumb and index finger indicates compression of nerves of C5 and C6
- Pain in little finger and ring finger indicates compression of nerves C7-T1
Any type of neuralgia should not be treated just with anti-inflammatory drugs and pain-killers, since the situation will often get worse with time to lead to disappointment. Also, one should be aware that “Instantly killing pain with a pain-killer tablet is just like putting out the light when you don’t want to see the things around. Surely the day will come when / where you cannot switch off the pain”. Here pleasure with pain-killers is nothing else but intermission of pain.