Dr S. Chidambaranathan B.H.M.S, M.D Homeopathy Doctor Madurai (Treatment avail for all people around the world)
In olden days, aged people who suffered from cataract led the rest of their life being blind. Now, in the anti-ageing era (?), everyone should thank scientific development in surgical manipulation for lighting up the vision and thus one’s life. Cataract is one of the most common complaints of vision problems of people over 50 years of age. Nowadays it is also the commonest surgery among aged persons with the maximum results.
- Senile cataract or age-related cataract are developed due to coagulation of lens protein and defective oxidation process of lens
- Cataract due to deficiency of glutathione, beta crystalline, riboflavin and vitamin C
- Congenital cataract : In this case, cataract forms either due to infection of German measles or vitamin deficiencies during pregnancy.
- Systemic illness – Cataract incidence rate shows drastic increase in diabetic patients, due to metabolic disturbances.
- Trauma – Cataract can develop immediately after an eye injury or later on slowly.
- Irritants- Smoke, acid fumes, etc.
- Drugs – Steroidal drugs may cause cataract.
- Cloudy vision – as if seeing through a fog or vision will be like washout images
- Glaring of sunlight, lamps and it is mostly noticed at the time of crossing the road and night driving
- Rainbow colours or haziness or circular ring can be seen surrounding the light.
- Needs more light for better vision, in initial period of cataract
- Losing self-confidence – depression may develop.
- Losing independent movement – achievements and self work will get disturbed.
- Steroidal drugs which cause cataract and glaucoma
- Smoking and smoke
- Watching TV for a long time
- Working for a long time on computers.
- Long and continuous study
- Direct sunlight or high beam lights
- Nutritious diet for a healthy life, especially food rich in vitamins A, B and C.
- Rest with closed eyes for a while, when you are straining more at the computer or reading.
- Plenty of fluids – water, juices to avoid dehydration and sclerosis.
- Care of the eye and protect it from infection, dust, UV lights, radiation and injury by wearing sunglasses.
- Intra capsular cataract surgery – here the lens with capsule is removed – rarely done
- Extra capsular cataract surgery with implantation of rigid intraocular lens – here the back part of the capsule is left undisturbed.
- Phaco-emulsification i.e. Micro incisional surgery has the advantages of shorter hospital stay and fewer complications. Phaco-surgery is the most common procedure in developed countries. Here lens is emulsified using laser and a foldable silicon lens is inserted through the minute incision.
Betterment is important and not the system or the doctor. In case of cataract diagnosed early, surgeons usually wait till the cataract matures, so that it can be removed easily. Until then, the patient has to suffer with the complaint and its effects and complications.