- Use the wrist more (computer data operators, players – tennis, badminton, table tennis, golf, etc.)
- Arthritic sufferers – Rheumatoid arthritis, gout, etc.
- Previous trauma or fracture of the wrist
- Has constant pressure on nerves
In this computerised world, data entry operators suffer from this condition as they works more with their wrist. Young women are affected more. It also occurs commonly in the second and third decades of life, but can occur at any age. It is mostly seen in the upper extremity, especially in the dorsum of wrist (75 per cent) and less commonly in the palmar aspect of the wrist (25 per cent). Also, it is more common in the right hand than the left, but may occur in both hands. In case of dorsal side ganglion, it mostly appears between scaphoid and lunate bones or between trapezium and trapezoid bones. In case of palmar aspect, ganglion occurs near the radial artery or at the base of the thumb. Its occurrence may be a sudden onset or a slow one. It also usually varies in size.
- Mostly there won’t be any symptom at all, except swelling.
- Swelling or mass in the wrist may vary in size from peanut size to golf ball size
- Sore pain or throbbing pain may occur while flexing the wrist
- There may be numbness in areas of that particular nerve when it gets compressed or affected
- Weakness of the fingers, when the corresponding supplying artery gets compressed
Usually many of the sufferers won’t take any treatment at all, since it does not hinder them with pain or disturb their lifestyle. Some of the ganglion gets resolved spontaneously even without any treatment. The resistant or persistent ganglion needs treatment. Some people used to press it inside with tight bandage or hardboard which may sometimes get ruptured. This procedure may cause reduction in the size of the ganglion. But this procedure should not be done, since it may cause injury to nerves or joints nearby.
Everyone knows well that Homeopathy treats tumours with medicines and not surgery. One such tumour is ganglion. It can be cured with Homeopathic medicines without any recurrences. But treatment should be followed till it subsides wholly or otherwise there will be recurrence as in other treatments.