Overcoming exam fear by Dr S. Chidambaranathan B.H.M.S, M.D Homeopathy Doctor Madurai (Treatment avail for all people around the world)
Our brain can remember everything and interpret them well, more than a computer. Its working nature seems to be a mystery, i.e., it is tough to forget the thing one wishes to forget, and it is
March will be a dreaded season or a tension period for children (more for parents too) due to exam fear. Parents will sacrifice TV, outings, tours, sleep, etc., for the sake of their children’s studies. In spite of it all, if they find that their children could not cope with the situation and lose their concentration, they will often become frustrated, irritated and worried. Also, parents would often complain that their children are studying well but not scoring well. At this juncture, they need to encourage their children than blaming them and should go for analysis of the cause to rectify / treat it.
I see – I remember
I do – I understand and will never forget
Exams are not always easy going. Exams are conducted to honour our intellect. Here one can aim for topper / achiever / champion to be proud of oneself or to make their parents proud. Good learning, keeping everything in mind, recalling the things when there arises a need, perfection in doing things and seriousness in presentation will lead one always to the top. Perhaps, built in behaviour or habit development will always be needed to perform it. One should understand well that success is not easy to be got. You need to strain. The more we learn, the better we can perform without any fear or tension. Unwanted tension can precipitate exam fear.
- Lack of memory or forgetfulness
- Fear of punishments from parents / teachers
- Bad past experiences
- Improper learning i.e. studying not in depth
- Inattentive / distracted mind
- Lack of self-confidence / hopelessness / inferiority complex
- Health problems
Some would just fear in succeeding / scoring high marks, some other would fear and sweat, and some others would sink and faint in addition. Some others get tremors, nervousness, sometimes they find it difficult to control passing of urine and stool.
- Feeling blank or vagueness before exam
- Difficulty in concentrating and studying while preparing for exams
- Fear to appear for exams
- Getting tensed on seeing difficult questions
- Difficulty in expressing / presentation even for known answers due to fear or inferiority complex
- Confusion and hopelessness
- Sweating and racing heart
- Dizziness due to sleepless study
- Tension and worries
For students – Hygiene should not be excluded while caring for the brain. Health consciousness should be more during the exam period or otherwise every effort taken in studying will go in vain. Take plenty of vegetables, dairy products, cereals, pulses, nuts, etc. Also, be aware that it is not worth just supplementing without any exercises, i.e., only an active body keeps an energetic brain. Also never overload your stomach, since it may induce sleep.
- Learn everything with good concentration and understanding
- Keep everything in memory in inter-relationship
- Revise in the mornings (early morning is the best time, since brain will be more active after a good sleep)
- Prepare for exams right from the beginning and well in advance
- Have confidence that you have learnt everything, you will remember everything, you will present everything and finally you will achieve your goal
Understand the question in depth, answer aptly in a cool manner, without any tension
- Studying continuously (day and night) – relax often to re-charge your brain
- Stimulants – coffee / tea. Better take health drinks to keep good energy levels
- Cool drinks / things to avoid unnecessary cold and fever during exam period
Stress and worries
- Fear of exams / getting blank / forgetfulness
- Underestimating yourself
- Studying only as exams near
- Discussing new things or unknown things before entering the exam hall
Watching others in the examination hall
- Getting tensed by the speed of others in writing and collecting additional sheets
- Feeling of running out of time – relax, set mind to proceed in good speed and spirit till the end of time
- Getting blank on seeing tough questions – on those occasions, just skip that question and go with the next known and simple one. In the mean time, your brain will become energetic enough toanswer any sort of questions in an easy manner.
Parents should be aware that studies and creative abilities should always be motivated and should not be forced. Considering the qualities of their children with respect to attention, concentration, confidence, tension, bored mentality, recollecting ability, time management, speed of presentation, self esteem, negative attitude, etc., parents should go for habit formation and if necessary, treatment also. They should educate their children in the way of enhancing self-motivation and providing responsibility.
- Teach your children to be relaxed but not lethargic
- Teach them in-depth – never allow them to just mug up.
- Encourage them often – make them revise
- Prepare them to confront any exam without any pressure and tension
- Make them present a paper at least once before exam
- Bad parenting – Be kind to them
- Repeated reminders for / about studying
- Interfering while studying
- Aiming high and forcing the children to achieve the un achievable (go according to the capacity of your child)
Extreme exam fear often leads to failure – This may further cause lack of interest and loss of self-esteem. Criticism and bad parenting are the main causes for exam fear which further causes depression, anxiety, tension, etc. Sometimes it even pushes one to commit suicide. Fearful/dejected students commit suicide because they were unable to perform well in a test/exam or difficulty in facing their parents after that. This idiotic approach should be rooted out by explaining the real facts. Students should be educated in such a way that they learn for themselves and not for others (teachers or parents). Teachers and parents take efforts for his / her welfare. It is not just a question of managing the exam. They should accept that it is time to learn for a bright future. Also, these exams may help lead a comfortable life, but not for life itself. One should understand that this is one occasion where we can show our ability. If at all we fail, we can create another opportunity to succeed. Only thing is we need to wait for the next occasion, wasting some time. It is just like catching the next train than canceling the trip for missing the first train. Here one should be trained to have / develop faith and confidence to reach the goal / destination, defeating all stress and fears.
People usually seek alternative treatments to get good memory. Often they go for rare herbs. They may not know about the efficacy of Homeopathy in these matters. In fact, Homeopathy can offer a sweet proposal for them.
- Phobias (persistent abnormal dread or fear / aversion) – Aspen, Arg Nit, Ars alb, Gels, Mimulus, Nux vom, etc.
- Forgetfulness – Ambra grisea, Anacardium, Baryta carb, Cannabis Ind, Iodium, Kali brom, Sulphur, Nux moschata, etc.
- Confusion – Ambra grisea, Anacardium, Baryta carb, Calc carb, Iodium, Gels, Lachesis, Picric acid, Zinc met, etc.
- Attention deficit, inattentiveness, very slow in learning and for repeating same mistakes – Baryta carb, Calc carb, Chestnut bud, Clematis, etc.
- Dullness and depression – Baryta carb, Calc carb, Gentian, Horn beam, etc
- Hopelessness and lack of self-confidence – Ambra grisea, Lachesis, Larch, Nat mur, Gorse, etc.
- Feeling tired even before starting to study, exhausted mind – Horn beam
- Homesickness – Acid phos, Capsicum, Ignatia, Gels, Nux vom, Puls, etc.
- Indecisive, uncertain, unsteady double mind – Scleranthus, Wild oat, etc., are prescribed. These Medicines should be taken under the advice and diagnosis of a qualified Homeopath.
Best wishes and good luck for your forthcoming exams.