- Sensations in face (touch, temperature and pain)
- Temperature and position of the food in the mouth
- Good saliva secretion to comfort easy swallowing
- Good lachrymal secretions to care and wash eyes continuously Clenching of teeth
- Good mastication process (grinding the food in mouth) since they cannot locate food
Females over 40 years and elderly peoples seem to be the most common victims. Anyhow, it can occur in any age group irrespective of sex. Most often, many sufferers would state that exposure to cold breeze or direct air-conditioned air as the precursor of the complaint. It occurs usually in single side and rarely on both sides.
- Ophthalmic nerve carries sensation to brain from eye, upper eyelids and forehead
- Maxillary nerve carries sensations from lower eyelid, nose, cheek and upper lip
- Mandibular nerve carries sensations from lower lip, jaw and mucous membrane of mouth and throat. It also helps in actions like biting, chewing, and swallowing.
- Primary , i.e., cause from within itself – infection, inflammation, irritation and de-myelination process
- Secondary , i.e., taking roots from others – for example – after dental fillings or extractions or
Even though there may be a variety of complaints, patients commonly complain of nothing but pain, pain, pain… Onset may be gradual or all of a sudden. Pain usually occurs in flashes, but sometimes it may be persisting like stabbing pain. Mostly it would last from a few seconds to 2 minutes. Its incidences are more commonly seen in the middle and lower part of face and vary from person to person in type, intensity and suffering period, depending upon the involved nerve fibres. Waxing and waning may occur in course of suffering and treatment. The common symptoms are
- Erratic / excruciating / violent pain in face (cheek, jaw, eyes) nose and throat
- Lightning / electric / cutting / stabbing / pricking / tearing / squeezing type of pain in face
- Pain travels / radiates over the face
- Recurrent bouts of attacks even with mild trigger
- Altered sensation or numbness or tingling sensation (feeling of pricking pins) with weakness in the parts involved
- Unpleasant feeling in the face – tickling, pricking, creeping, annoying, etc.
- Anxiety, tension, restlessness and sleeplessness with fear of pain
- Difficulty in chewing and identifying the position of the food in the mouth
- Dryness of mouth due to lowered secretion of saliva
- Dryness or irritation or ulcers of eyes due to lowered lachrymal secretions
- Stress and tension
- Direct air flow in face while travelling or sleeping
- Avoid cold exposures or temperatures and cold bath
- Massaging violently with analgesics, since it often aggravates the complaints
Even though modern system of medicine claims that trigeminal neuralgia cannot be cured altogether with medicines and can only be maintained with anti-convulsants or pain-killers, Homeopathy can provide very good relief from this terrible nervous pain even to near normal without any side-effects. It is always wise to treat the condition than to suppress it with pain-killers or anti-convulsants. Also one should be aware that with suppressants, the situation will often get worse with time, leading to disappointment, since here pleasure of relief is nothing else but the intermission of complaint.