Voice and speech by Dr S. Chidambaranathan B.H.M.S, M.D Homeopathy Doctor Madurai (Treatment avail for all people around the world)
Voice – Silence is divine and speech is human. Even though silence can speak more sometimes, it can also often make one misunderstood. So, voice is very important for straightforward and clear communication. Voice is an alternative route to our expression
Phonation quality differs from one person to another. It is acombination of breath and voice. Voice may be soft / hard / hoarse / husky. Voice depends on frequency or pitch, intensity or volume of air and resonance. Difficulty in breathing, having a nose block, cough, tickling sensation or uneasiness in throat can also alter the voice. Voice / sound may also vary depending upon the speaking circumstances / situations (anxiety / fear / tension) and moods i.e., to gossip, murmur, whisper, shouting with explosive sound, etc.
Larynx functions – Larynx, having vocal cords, works mainly as a voice box. Further, it works for
- Guiding food into the oesophagus
- Guarding the lower respiratory organ from entry of food substances
- Induction of cough reflex to expel food or foreign materials
- Fixing the chest tight to hold breath while doing strenuous work
is an expression of thoughts or ideas by vocal sounds. Act of speech needs cooperation of mind and voice box. The specific speech area in the brain (in frontal region) is called as Broca’s area. This area is concerned mainly with fluency and grammar in our speech.
- Aphonia – total loss of voice
- Dysphonia – difficulty in phonation due to dysfunction of vocal cords
- Pitch disorders – hoarseness / creaky voice due to infection / cold / vocal nodule / malignancy
- Resonance disorders – disorders of phonation
- Hypernasality due to palatopharyngeal incompetence / cleft palate
- Hyponasality from nasal obstruction (adenoids, nasal polyps, etc)
- Aphasia – loss of speech due to brain involvement i.e. lack of signals from brain
- Stuttering or stammering – disturbance in rhythm, frequency of words.
- Speech or language problem due to underdeveloped brain with cerebral palsy or mental retardation where brain cannot learn and understand how to act.
for new hope