|In this congested world, people suffer commonly from common cold. Even though it is highly contagious and annoying, because of its self- limiting nature, it is often left untreated or treated with just home remedies or with over-the-counter drugs. In case of kids, it is the No.1 reason for visiting a doctor. In case of recurrent infection, it can make one run from doctors to doctors since most of the times, most of the medicines work only for time being. Medically, it is called as upper respiratory tract infection (URI).|
Incidences – Though kids suffer more often from cold than adults, no one is immune to common cold. It recurs often in people whose defence mechanism is very weak. Further, since there are more than 200 varieties of viruses which cause common cold, getting vaccination or gaining resistance against all the viruses will be very tough.
Causes – Common cold is primarily caused by rhinoviruses and coronaviruses (of more than 200 varieties). Even though it is seasonal, it is not because of cold exposure or weather. Actually, in those climates, viruses have more virulence and the environment is more favourable for them. Common cold gets transmitted through the air (by coughs or sneezes as aerosols containing viruses) and through nasal secretions. Naturally, to clear infective viruses, nasal mucosa produce excessive secretions to wash away them but those virus-containing secretions infect others easily with the contamination of hand/towels/things. Main cause for spreading is sharing and close contact.
Factors favouring repeated infection
Symptoms – can occur in an overnight period after infection. The suffering period may be commonly between 3-5 days. Anyhow, sometimes, it can also last up to two weeks. In all those days of suffering, it is contagious. Most often, symptom of cold starts with running nose or sneezing or tickling in throat. Common symptoms are
Diagnosis is very important to cut short the course and spread of the underlying disease.
Usually discharge/sputum give a clue for diagnosis with quantity, consistency, colour, odour and thickness. One needs to rush for treatment in case of purulent or blood-stained sputum. Yellow or green discharge with odour indicates added bacterial infection.
Investigations - If cold and cough persist for more than a week, it is better to go for proper analysis and treatment with following tests.
ü Cover nose and mouth while sneezing or coughing (with kerchiefs or towels and not with hands as it can contaminate further on touching other things).
Ø Contact with infected persons
Ø Smoking and dust exposure
Ø Working in areas of noxious fumes or polluted air
Ø Cold/frozen food items
ü Hands often with soap, especially after blowing nose and before taking food
ü House with vacuum cleaner than by sweeping or dusting
ü A/C air filters periodically
ü Damp places to reduce moulds and dust mites
ü Bedspreads, pillows, blankets, mattress, rugs, every week
ü Carpets frequently with vacuum cleaner
The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) of the United States has also cautioned against the use of over-the-counter drugs and cough syrups for serious side-effects (especially in children). In Allopathy, using nasal decongestants and antihistamines can give temporary relief from nasal congestion, but one should aware that they can bring a rebound of complaints with much intensity in due course. In case of repeated infection, desensitisation or immune therapy will be provided to combat infection and allergic responses.
Some patients continuously use nasal decongestant sprays and cough syrups to control cold. They should be aware that it cannot eradicate cold and further arresting cough or running nose instantly is like adding disease to the complaint. Hence, there will be chances of complication or re-infection which may be felt as continuous or repeated attacks of cold.
In spite of a wide variety of viruses, to remain healthy, tolerance (i.e., raised immune mechanism) and good health are must. For that, Homeopathy can surely help, so if you feel “always sick with cold” try Homeopathy. In Homeopathy, we treat patients (symptoms of the patients) and not the disease or viruses. Homeopathy treats the constitution and improves immunity. For remarkable improvement and overall immunity, if one happens to take Homeopathy treatment, recurrence as well as the sufferings (cough, running nose, sneezing) can be reduced drastically. Homeopathy can help improve school/college/office attendance of the sufferer.
Homeopathic medicines commonly used in complaints of common cold are Aconite, Ars Alb, Ars iod, Anti-tart, Bacillinum, Belladonna, Bryonia, Calc carb, Corallium, Gelsemium, Hepar sulph, Kali bich, Kali-mur, Pulsatilla, Rhus tox, Sabadilla, Senega, Silicea, Nat-sulph, Nux vom, etc. These medicines should be taken under the advice and diagnosis of a qualified Homeopath.
for new hope
Dr. S. Chidambaranathan, BHMS, MD (Homeo)
Laxmi Homeo Clinic
24 E. New Mahalipatti Road
Madurai, TN 625 001
Tel: +91-452-233-8833 | +91-984-319-1011 (Mob)
www.drcheena.com / www.drcheena.in
(Disclaimer - The contents of this column are for informational purpose only. The content is not intended to be a substitute for professional healthcare advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of healthcare professional for any health problem or medical condition.)
Common cold care and preventions
Simple notes on Drcheena
Mode of taking Homeopathy Medicines
Under the diagnosis and advice of a qualified Homeopath, Homeopathy medicines will usually give comfort, calmness and hope to suffering mankind even in difficult cases, for some of which the modern medical world says nothing can be done. Homeopathic medicines can provide cure gently, promptly and permanently if they are taken properly. The medicine, its potency (power), its frequency (repetition), may vary according to the patient and the condition. Even with long time medications, Homeopathy medicines are completely safe and free from all sorts of side-effects and addiction. It can be safely used in infants, children, adolescents, adults, elderly people and even in pregnant women.
Wonders of Homeopathy
Homeopathy is gaining in acceptance the world over due to its nature of treatment. Homeopathy does wonders when applied scientifically. As Homeopathy works on certain principles, it never fails within its limitations. However, a Homeopath may fail in treating the patient when he cannot elicit the characteristic symptom of the patient to match with the drug symptoms for selecting similimum (apt drug in right dosage). Homeopathy usually believes in internal treatment rather than topical applications or external interventions (removal of the disease or its effects using surgery, acids, freezing, burning, banding, laser, radiation, cauterization, ointments, liniments, oils, etc.) since internal medicines can only throw/expel the disease. Internal Homeopathic medicines treat patient as a whole by supporting the body’s own process of healing (immune mechanism) without any side-effects.
Disclaimer: Laxmi Homeo Clinic is intending to make the people all over the world healthier through the power of information. Our health information and technologies can make a healthier tomorrow and better healthcare outcomes.
The contents of this column are for informational purpose only. The content is not intended to be a substitute for professional healthcare advice, diagnosis, or treatment. Always seek the advice of healthcare professional for any health problem or medical condition.
Smarter way of handling cancer
Cancer seems to be a lot more prevalent now, due to a variety of unknown causes and known causes like use of plastics as food servers, fertilizer usage, microwave oven usage, etc. So, with all available advanced technologies, one needs to take care of their health by modifying life style / proper food habits / good body hydration / judicious use of medicinesand regular checkups. Sustained treatment is essential to combat / post pone recurrences in cancer. Likewise all the benign tumours need to be analyzed every year to make sure that it remains benign without growing in size or differentiating. What is Cancer? Any abnormal proliferation in cytology or numbers of the cells is considered to be a tumour or growth. There are two types of tumours, i.e. Benign and Malignant. Benign tumours are the growth which has more number of cells but has similar pattern of cytology of existing normal cells. In case of malignancy, i.e. cancer, the cells will go out of range in size, cytology and numbers in uncontrollable manner invading other tissues and spread to other parts (metastasis) endangering life. Tumours either benign or malignant can cause different set of symptoms in different set of people according to the location, involvement of structure and spreading nature.
More by Dr. Chidambaranathan
- Specialities of Homeopathy medicines
- urine facts and nature
- Kidney Stones treatment and remedies
- Urinary tract infection treatment and remedies
- Lipoma treatment and remedies
- how we Taste
- Taste disorder treatment and remedies
- Tongue and Taste
- Tongue disorders treatment and remedies
- Hoarseness of voice – Fractured voice
- Vocal Nodules Singer's Nodes treatment and cure
- Voice and speech facts
- Birthmarks treatment and remedies
- Burns treatment and remedies
- Corns treatment and remedies
- Cracked heels treatment and remedies
- Dry Skin treatment and remedies
- Allergic Skin disorders treatment and remedies
- Mind disorders guidance and way for elderly persons
- Eczema treatment and remedies
- HAEMANGIOMA – VASCULAR BIRTHMARK treatment and rem...
- Itch and itching treatment and remedies
- KELOID treatment and remedies
- Leucoderma Vitiligo treatment and remedies
- Prickly heat treatment and remedies
- Psoriasis treatment and remedies
- WARTS treatment and remedies
- Allergy Asthma treatment and remedies
- Wheezing Asthma treatment and remedies
- Cough treatment and remedies
- Sneezing treatment and remedies
- Breathing disorders and its treatment
- Alzheimer’s disease treatment and remedies
- CRYing reasons and its facts
- Cry – The Emotional Outburst
- Amnesia and dementia - Failing memory treatment an...
- Tips for sound Mental health
- Anxiety treatment and remedies
- Nose bleed Epistaxis treatment and remedies
- Bell’s palsy Facial paralysis treatment and remedies
- Brachial Neuralgia treatment and remedies
- Brain and its disorders
- Febrile Fits treatment and remedies
- Ganglion treatment and remedies
- Marvel Brain and its Dysfunctions
- Neurological Problems analysis and its cure
- Paresis and Paralysis treatment and remedies
- Sciatica leg pain treatment and remedies
- Seizure convulsions epilepsy treatment and remedies
- The nervous system and its dysfunction
- Tremor treatment and remedies
- Trigeminal Neuralgia / Pain in face treatment and ...
- In growing nail treatment and remedies
- Fungal infection of Nails treatment and remedies
- NAIL BED INFECTION – PARONYCHIA
- NAIL BED INFECTION – PARONYCHIA treatment and reme...
- Salivary calculus treatment and remedies
- Saliva and its functions
- Bad breath Halitosis treatment and remedies
- Drooling saliva treatment and remedies
- Dry mouth nature and its reasons
- Gingivitis treatment and remedies
- Mouth ulcers treatment and remedies (Stomatitis / ...
- Salivary calculus / Sailolith treatment and remedies
- Sensitive teeth treatment and remedies
- Impotency treatment,remedies and proven cure
- Prostate gland enlargement treatment and remedies
- Sperm and Spermatorrhoea treatment and remedies
- Chikungunya treatment and remedies
- Mumps Parotitis treatment and remedies
- What is Homeopathy
- MIGRAINE Headache treatment and remedies
- Sinusitis Headache treatment and remedies
- PCOD PCOS treatment and proven cure
- Painful Menses reasons and cure
- White Discharge reasons and cure
- Cataract treatment and remedies
- Dry Eyes treatment and remedies
- Tears nature
- Styes and chalazion treatment and remedies
- EYES Tears
- Tinnitus treatment and remedies
- Amoebiasis treatment and remedies
- Anal abscess and anal fistula treatment and remedies
- Anal complaints reasons, treatment and proven cure
- Appendicitis reasons, treatment and proven cure
- Constipation reasons treatment and proven cure
- Diarrhoea care and prevention
- Anal Fissure reasons treatment and proven cure
- Gallstones treatment and remedies
- Heartburn reasons and cure
- Hiatus Hernia treatment and remedies
- Irritable Bowel Syndrome treatment and remedies
- Peptic ulcer treatment and remedies
- Anal Piles reasons treatment and proven cure
- DIABETES nature and tips for best treatment
- Discolouration & coating of tongue reasons and cure
- Stammering Flicker of words reasons and cure
- Rheumatic Fever treatment and remedies
- ▼ December (115)
Visit Our Website
Hernia Everyone knows that an overstretched part will normally give way or tear or burst. For example an overblown balloon can b...
PARONYCHIA NAILS – NAIL BED INFECTION – PARONYCHIA Any pain or swelling or redness usually indicates infection and infl...
Discolouration & coating of tongue Tongue & Taste – Discolouration & coating of tongue Normally, one’s health ...